The world has entered the new millennium, which is going to be the Information Technology Age. Computers and Internet (World-Wide Web) have become an integral part of our personal and professional lives; IT Careers have gained immense popularity over the past few years. With the advent of the PC the information technology industry underwent a quantum change. Today Computers have not only assumed strategic importance in the corporate world, they are being effectively used in other fields ranging from space exploration to food processing and banking to communication etc. The software revolution totally changed the way we work. Availability of cheap and easy to use software packages has increased productivity levels manifold. Probably no sector is untouched by information technology. Manufacturing, Finance, Marketing, Entertainment, Education, Mass Media, Environment, Communication and several other fields are reaping the benefits of IT. In this era of Information Technology, which has revolutionized the whole world, India has stood up to the world standards and is being regarded the world over for its skilled IT Professionals. Though believed that there would be a slump in the IT field, it continues to grow, and offers job opportunities to people who have the right skills and training. Information Technology occupations touch nearly every field in every part of the country and by that sheer presence itself offer innumerable job openings. The rapid development of technologies such as networking, multi-media and the Internet/WWW have created totally new job categories where none existed a few years ago. This sector is also the one that is witnessing the fastest growth and change rate. New software and techniques come out every month and professionals have to keep pace with the rapid advancements.
To become a part of the IT sector, you can choose from an array of paths. However, it is good to have general and specific skills along with formal training in IT related subjects. A certification or a Bachelor’s degree will ensure you find the correct niche for yourself in this sector. Certain personal qualities, like problem-solving capabilities, attention to detail and logical outlook are important if your choice is an IT Career. A strong foundation in Mathematics during High School is also an added asset for jobs in the IT industry.
Skills and Personal Qualities:
One should have the following personal attributes if one wishes to enter this field:
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new things, technologies and adopt new methods of work
- Logical thinking
- Ability to focus and concentrate
- Organizational and administrative abilities
- Ready to work for long hours and ability to work hard
- High intellectual capacity
- Ability to take decisions
- Ability to get well with people and good communication skills
- Academic and technical skills
Scopes as IT Professionals
Broadly IT careers can be classified into the following types: Computer and Information Research Scientists, Computer Hardware Engineers, Computer Software Engineers, Computer and Information Systems Managers, Computer Programmers, Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts, Computer Systems Analysts, Database Administrators, Network and Computer Systems Administrators and Computer Support Specialists. The option of courses is huge and armed with correct advice and information one can choose the right subjects to pursue any of these careers. If you are interested in landing a job in the IT industry or you are currently pursuing an IT degree here is a list to guide you with the latest IT careers in the industry:
- Applications Engineer: In this field you are responsible in designing parts of applications such as interface, middleware and infrastructure to conform to the company’s design standards.
- Personnel Consultant: Personnel consultant helps in project planning and implementation. They also help in the creation of prototypes and alternative applications with colleagues.
- Chief IT Auditor: The chief IT auditor establishes methods to audit and review computer systems and develop examination and evaluation methods for IT and networking systems to ensure conformation with mandates standards for ethics and company security.
- Lead Software Modeler: These professionals manage software development groups in the design, development, encoding and debugging of application software.
- Senior Web Modeler: A senior web modeler plans and conducts web-based software and coordinates new product development such as marketing, production and other stages bringing new software in the internet.
- Communication and Messaging Administrator: Communication administrators control e-mail, messaging and groupware systems including computer servers, operating systems and recovery programs. They also fix problems and attend to computer needs of a company.
- Data developer: A data developer evaluates data requirements of a company and design models of data flow.
- Business Intelligence Analyst: These professionals develop the company’s information analysis and create practical solutions. They also review and analyze information from inside and outside resources and transform this information into a language that can be understood by everyone in the company. A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or computer engineering is necessary.
- Network Manager: Network manager manages the everyday operations and maintenance of the company’s networking and automation operations. They also cooperate with network engineers and analysts to implement, test, deploy and incorporate network systems. To fill this post one should have a good degree in any computer related course and a several years of experience in computer networking.